Requirements for the 2019-20 Academic Year
All students receive full financial support. Apply on-line (link below) by January 15, 2019.
To be considered for the additional campus wide fellowship competition, submit your complete application with all supporting documentation by December 3, 2018.
If you are a student from the TU-Dresden or are on the FLTA program, your application must be complete and all supporting documentation and official test scores must be received no later than March 29, 2019. You will find your online Exchange Student Application link below. Please do not apply through the application web site for degree-seeking students!
On-line application forms and supporting documentation
- for degree-seeking applicants - Online Application Web site
- for non-degree-seeking students from TU-Dresden and FLTA only!
- Exchange Student Application this application will open in late January 2019
For all applicants:
- Request Official Transcript(s) from each institution attended where college credit was earned —(the original transcripts must be submitted directly from the institution). Ohio State will not accept web reports, advising reports, self-reported scores, or transfer credit on another school’s transcript.
International applicants: request certified educational records and degree certificates or diplomas in the original language with English translations.
- official GRE* scores are required for all domestic applicants. They are also required for international applicants who wish to be considered for the campus wide fellowship competition. * [ The institution code for the GRE is 1592.]
- official TOEFL iBT* or IELTS scores are required for all international applicants.
* [ The institution code is 1592.]
Note: Make certain that transcripts, test scores, and references are actually sent! The Department cannot accept responsibility for soliciting them or for notifying applicants if they are missing.
In addition, upload these program documents:
Please note: do not mail paper documents to the department.
- a CV or Resume
- a Statement of Purpose—
Please outline your academic interests and career plans. Include relevant biographical information related to education, work experience, language knowledge, and study abroad.
- a Scholarly Writing Sample—
The sample, in English or in German, should be no longer than 30 pages.
- Provide Three References—from individuals acquainted with your academic program and scholastic ability. Each recommendation must include the completed Reference Form as well as a separate letter from your recommender written and signed on academic or business letterhead stationery. (This program accepts online references and if you would like to use the online reference form, make sure that your references are willing to submit their recommendations electronically. Once you submit your application, you will be emailed instructions on where to set up your references online and how to send them recommendation requests; once you have made that choice, do not then send them paper recommendation forms.)
The Graduate Admissions Office will send (by email) instructions telling you how to activate your Ohio State Username, after which you will be able to confirm receipt (through the application status link) of your uploaded application materials.
Please note: Official GRE test scores are required for domestic students; they are optional for international students who do not wish to be considered for the campus wide fellowship competition. Make certain that transcripts, test scores, and references are actually sent! The Department cannot accept responsibility for soliciting them or for notifying applicants if they are missing.
For eligible students: FreeApp program through which an application fee waiver may be requested.