Requirements for the 2022-23 Academic Year
Application Deadline is January 15, 2022 *
All students receive full financial support. Compete your application online by January 15, 2022.
Please note that each of your recommenders will be automatically contacted with a link to submit their letter of recommendation after you submit your application online.
If you are not ready to submit all of your program documents today, please do submit your application and then upload the remaining program documents later via the document uploader. Applications are evaluated as soon as all required components are received and the file is complete. Since some components, such as transcripts and letters of recommendation, may take time to be sent out after they are requested, students should plan well ahead of deadlines.
[ * To be considered for the additional campus-wide fellowship competition, your application must be submitted online and be complete (including all supporting documentation and letters of recommendation) no later than December 14, 2021. ]
If you are a student from the TU-Dresden or are on the FLTA program, your application must be complete and all supporting documentation and official test scores must be received no later than March 2, 2022. You will find your online Exchange Student Application link below. Please do not apply through the application website for degree-seeking students!
Online Application Forms and Supporting Documentation
for "degree-seeking" applicants - Online Application Web site
for non-degree-seeking students from TU-Dresden and FLTA only!
Exchange Student Application (this application will open in late January 2022)
For All Applicants
- Upload Transcript(s) from each college or university attended where college credit was earned. Unofficial transcripts are accepted at the initial stage of the application process. [The official transcripts must be submitted directly from the institution after you are admitted.] The Ohio State Admissions Office will not accept web reports, advising reports, self-reported scores, or transfer credit on another school’s transcript.
Guidelines for submitting transcripts to Ohio State.
- International applicants: request certified educational records and degree certificates or diplomas in the original language with English translations.
- official TOEFL iBT* or IELTS scores are required for all international applicants.
* [ The institution code is 1592.]
- Note: Make certain that transcripts, test scores, and references are actually sent! The Department cannot accept responsibility for soliciting them or for notifying applicants if they are missing.
In Addition, Upload these Program Documents:
- a CV or Resume
- a Statement of Purpose:
outline your academic interests and career plans. Include relevant biographical information related to education, work experience, language knowledge, and study abroad.
- a Scholarly Writing Sample:
The sample, in English or in German, should be no longer than 30 pages.
Three Letters of Recommendation — from individuals acquainted with your academic program and scholastic ability.
Note -- each of your recommenders will be automatically contacted with a link to submit their letter of recommendation when you submit your application online.
For answers to your questions while completing your online application, visit FAQ - Graduate Admissions Office frequently asked questions
After submitting your online application, the Graduate Admissions Office will instruct you how to activate your Ohio State Username, after which you will be able to confirm receipt (through the application status link) of your uploaded application materials.
Please note: Make certain that transcripts, test scores, and references are actually sent through your Ohio State application status link. The Department cannot accept responsibility for soliciting them or for notifying applicants if they are missing.
For eligible students: FreeApp program through which an application fee waiver may be requested.