Requirements for the 2020-21 Academic Year
Application Deadline is January 15, 2019.
All students receive full financial support. Apply on-line by January 15, 2020.
The department considers your application 'complete' without the three reference letters. Submit your application to receive instructions regarding online references.
If you have concerns regarding the Admissions Office requirement for "official" transcripts and degree documents, email our Academic Program Coordinator.
[To be considered for the additional campus wide fellowship competition, submit your complete application with all supporting documentation by December 15, 2019.]
If you are a student from the TU-Dresden or are on the FLTA program, your application must be complete and all supporting documentation and official test scores must be received no later than March 2, 2020. You will find your online Exchange Student Application link below. Please do not apply through the application web site for degree-seeking students!
On-line application forms and supporting documentation
- for degree-seeking applicants - Online Application Web site
- for non-degree-seeking students from TU-Dresden and FLTA only!
- Exchange Student Application this application will open in late January 2020
For all applicants:
- Upload Transcript(s) from each institution attended where college credit was earned (unofficial transcripts are accepted at this initial stage of the application process).The original official transcripts must be submitted directly from the institution only after you are admitted. The Ohio State Admissions Office will not accept web reports, advising reports, self-reported scores, or transfer credit on another school’s transcript.
International applicants: request certified educational records and degree certificates or diplomas in the original language with English translations.
- official TOEFL iBT* or IELTS scores are required for all international applicants. * [ The institution code is 1592.]
- Note: Make certain that transcripts, test scores, and references are actually sent! The Department cannot accept responsibility for soliciting them or for notifying applicants if they are missing.
In addition, upload these program documents:
Please note: do not mail paper documents to the department.
- a CV or Resume
- a Statement of Purpose—
Please outline your academic interests and career plans. Include relevant biographical information related to education, work experience, language knowledge, and study abroad.
- a Scholarly Writing Sample—
The sample, in English or in German, should be no longer than 30 pages.
- Request Three References—from individuals acquainted with your academic program and scholastic ability. (This program accepts online references and if you would like to use the online reference form, make sure that your references are willing to submit their recommendations electronically. Once you submit your application, you will be emailed instructions on where to set up your references online and how to send them recommendation requests; once you have made that choice, do not then send them paper recommendation forms.)
The Graduate Admissions Office will send (by email) instructions telling you how to activate your Ohio State Username, after which you will be able to confirm receipt (through the application status link) of your uploaded application materials.
Please note: Make certain that transcripts, test scores, and references are actually sent through your Ohio State application status link. The Department cannot accept responsibility for soliciting them or for notifying applicants if they are missing.
For eligible students: FreeApp program through which an application fee waiver may be requested.