Requirements for the 2023-24 Academic Year
- All of our admitted students receive full financial support.
- Complete the online application, using the link below, by January 15, 2023 *
Please note that each of your recommenders will be automatically contacted with a link to submit their letter of recommendation after you submit your online application!
So if you are not ready to submit all of your program documents today, do submit your initial application and then afterwards, you will be able to upload the remaining supporting documentation via the document uploader before your deadline.
Our selection committee will evaluate your application when all required components are received. Since some documents, such as transcripts and letters of recommendation, may take time to be submitted by others after you request them, please plan well ahead of deadlines.
* To be considered for the additional campus-wide fellowship competition, your online application must be complete & be submitted (including all supporting documentation and letters of recommendation) no later than December 14, 2022.
If you are a student from the TU-Dresden or are on the FLTA program, your application must be complete and all supporting documentation and official test scores must be received no later than March 2, 2023. You will find your online Exchange Student Application link below. Please do not apply through the application website for degree-seeking students!
Online Application LINKS and supporting documentation required
for "degree-seeking" applicants - Online Application Web site
(this application opens in early August 2022)
for "non-degree-seeking" students from TU-Dresden and FLTA only!
Exchange Student Application (this application opens in late January 2023)
For All Applicants
Upload* the following supporting documentation:
*tips - uploading
- a CV or Resume
- a Statement of Purpose
outline your academic interests and career plans. Include relevant biographical information related to education, work experience, language knowledge, and study abroad.
- a Scholarly Writing Sample
The sample, in English or in German, should be no longer than 30 pages.
- Upload Transcript(s) from each college or university attended where college credit was earned.
Unofficial transcripts are accepted at the initial stage of the application process.
[The official transcripts must be submitted directly from the institution after you are admitted.]
The Ohio State Admissions Office will not accept web reports, advising reports, self-reported scores, or transfer credit on another school’s transcript.
Guidelines for submitting transcripts to Ohio State.
- International applicants: request certified educational records and degree certificates or diplomas in the original language with English translations.
- official TOEFL iBT or IELTS scores are required for all international applicants. Our institution code is 1592.
- International applicants: additional requirements to apply
- Note: Make certain that transcripts, test scores, and references are actually sent! The Department cannot accept responsibility for soliciting them or for notifying applicants if they are missing.
Three Letters of Recommendation will be requested from individuals acquainted with your academic program and scholastic ability.
Note -- each of your recommenders will automatically be contacted with a link to submit their letter of recommendation after you submit your application online. Therefore, applicants must plan well ahead of the deadlines posted above.
For answers to your questions while completing your online application, visit FAQ - Graduate Admissions Office frequently asked questions
After submitting your online application, the Graduate Admissions Office will instruct you how to activate your Ohio State Username, after which you will be able to confirm receipt (through the application status link) of your uploaded application materials.
Please note: Make certain that transcripts, test scores, and references are actually sent through your Ohio State application status link. The Department cannot accept responsibility for soliciting them or for notifying applicants if they are missing.
What can I expect if I am admitted?
International applicants: Additional requirements after you are admitted
For eligible students (citizens or a permanent residents of the U.S. only): FreeApp program through which an application fee waiver may be requested.